|Update: Commuter Rail back to full service on March 30. For schedules, please visit www.mbta.com/winter/severe_weather/ more >|
MBTA ADA Settlement
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and organizations representing people with disabilities have reached a settlement in a class action lawsuit brought over accessibility problems that denied people with disabilities equal access to the public transportation system. Under the agreement, the T will undertake major improvements in equipment, facilities and services that promise to enhance accessibility for people with disabilities while improving service for all T passengers. Attached please find for your review key documents regarding the settlement.
- ADA Lawsuit Settlement Notice Summary
- ADA Lawsuit Settlement Notice
- ADA Press Release
- ADA Lawsuit Settlement (PDF format)
- 2007 Analysis of MBTA Fixed Route Accessible Services Study (PDF format)
- MBTA BCIL Public Contact Information (PDF format)
- 2007 Analysis of MBTA Fixed Route Accessible Services Study (Text only)
- MBTA BCIL Public Contact Information
Paratransit and Accessible Fixed Route Service Study
In March of 2005, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) contracted with TranSystems Corp. and Planners Collaborative to conduct a comprehensive evaluation of its Paratransit (THE RIDE) and accessible fixed route transit services. The objectives of this evaluation were:
1. To improve the accessibility and usability of the MBTA’s Paratransit and Fixed Route services.
2. To ensure compliance with the Public Transit provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
3. To develop service monitoring procedures that are responsive to customer needs.
4. To improve communications between the MBTA, riders with disabilities, and seniors.
We are pleased to provide you with the final report for the “Evaluation of MBTA Paratransit and Accessible Fixed Route Transit Services”.
- Paratransit and Accessible Fixed Route Service Study
- Paratransit and Accessible Fixed Route Service Study - Text Only
- MBTA Action Plan
- MBTA Action Plan - Text Only
The final report was presented at a public meeting:
Tuesday, October 30th at 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
State Transportation Building, 10 Park Plaza, Conference Rooms 2 & 3
The MBTA’s Action Plan was also presented at this meeting in response to the recommendations set forth in the report.
To request a printed copy of either report, or an alternative formatted copy of the documents, please contact or leave voice mail with Lori Flaherty at 617-222-5184. Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons should utilize a ‘Relay Operator’. Please provide your name, full mailing address and the format you are requesting: regular print, large print (ADA font) or audio CD.
Comments or concerns regarding the Authority's Action Plan may be directed to:
firstname.lastname@example.org for THE RIDE portion of the Action Plan and email@example.com for the Fixed Route portion of the Action Plan..
Fare Change Information
Get the latest information on the MBTA fare changes here.
The latest information on MBTA improvements and expansion projects.
Browse all T Projects
Recently Updated Projects:
Browse all T Reports, statements, and publications in our Document Library.