|F1/F2H Hingham Commuter Ferry service will be suspended to/from Hingham throughout this week due to emergency dock repairs. more >|
Public Records Request
The Massachusetts Public Records Law governs public access to government documents and records and can be found at Chapter 66, Section 10 of the Massachusetts General Law, subject to exemptions found at Chapter 4, Section 7(26) of the Massachusetts General Laws, and applicable law and policy.
How to Make a Request
By filling in the form below and clicking on the Submit button your request will be electronically sent to the Records Officer at the MBTA.
A Public Records Request form is available for your convenience and can be e-mailed to MBTA.RAO@mbta.com or mailed to the following address:
Records Access Officer
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Law Department Room 7760
10 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116
You can also use your own letterhead to send the request.
General Categories of public records in the possession of the MBTA include the following:
* Agenda, Notices, and Meeting Minutes: Fiscal Management and Control Board
* Capital Investment Programs/ Annual Budgets
* Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable/Vouchers/Invoices
* Audited Financial Statements
* Bond Agreements
* Request for Proposals/Interests
* Invitation for Bids/Bid Submissions
* Winning Bids for Public Contracts
* Capital Delivery Contracts
* Professional Services Contracts
* Monthly Construction Bulletins
* Real Estate Development Agreements
* Advertising Contracts-Vehicles/Stations
* Revenue Data-Advertising/Parking
* Filming/Non-Commercial Speech Permits/Applications
* Commuter Rail/Commuter Boat Records
* Vehicle Acquisition and Engineering Records
* Operations Manuals/Special Orders and Bulletins
* Maintenance Reports
* Department of Public Utilities Final Safety Reports/ Corrective Action Plans
* Incident Statistics
* Video Footage-Bus/Stations
* Transit Police Department Incident Reports
* Collective Bargaining Agreements
For MassDOT related requests please see massdot.state.ma.us.
Fees vary depending on each individual request. When permissible under the Governor’s policy the MBTA will not charge for time spent to inspect, retrieve or redact documents. For requests that require extensive collection the first four hours will be performed at no cost, and after that the requestor will be charged $25 an hour for search and segregation costs. Fees include storage retrieval costs, electronic storage devices, or paper copies. To help reduce fees the MBTA suggests including as much detail as possible in the initial request.
All requests will be processed in accordance with the public records law and regulations at M.G.L. c. 66, § 1 et seq. (as most recently amended by An Act to improve Public Records, St. 2016, c. 121) and 950 C.M.R. 32.00. The procedure for appealing a public records response to the Supervisor of Public Records is set forth at 950 C.M.R., 32.08, available at http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/law-lib/laws-by-source/cmr/.
Talk to Us
Customer Support Representatives
617-222-3200 or 800-392-6100
Monday thru Friday 6:30 AM to 6:00 PM
10 Park Plaza, Suite 3910
Boston, MA 02116