Bicycle Parking Enhancements
Updated February 2014
The American Recovery and Reinvest Act (ARRA) has provided the MBTA with $4.8 million for a variety of programs to enhance and expand MBTA bicycle parking facilities
- Building on the success of the Alewife and Forest Hills bike cages, ARRA program funded the construction of the new "Pedal & Park" bike cages at 12 stations. New Pedal & Parks opened in 2013 at Braintree, Ashmont, Oak Grove, Malden, South Station and Davis. By Spring 2014, additional facilities will open at Back Bay Station, Dudley, Wollaston, Alewife, and Wonderland. Beverly will open later in 2014.
- The program also funded the installation of 50 covered bike shelters or "BikePorts" at Subway and Commuter Rail stations. Construction of these was completed in 2013.
Mattapan Station Shelter Improvements
Updated October 2012
The Federal Economic Stimulus Program (ARRA) provides funding for MBTA bus service and customer enhancements. A portion of this program is dedicated to carrying out improvements to Mattapan Station. The proposed $0.5 million project includes the following elements:
- Replacement of two shelters serving bus and trolley customers. The new shelters will be larger, have improved accessibility and provide substantially improved weather protection. Each shelter will be provided with button-activated heater units and new benches.
- The existing fare vending machines will be relocated to a new shelter located closer to the police substation.
- Improved weather protection at the existing mini-high platform.
- Pavement repairs will be made to the River Street busway
- Additional station signage, customer information, and bike racks will be provided
- Pedestrian safety improvements will be implemented at both busways.
- Installation of station artwork in conjunction with Artists for Humanity
The MBTA is in the process of retaining a contractor for this project and construction is anticipated to commence in January and be completed by Summer 2013.