MBTA System Orientation
The MBTA has developed a System Orientation training that will familiarize customers with the MBTA's Fixed-Route network of buses and trains. The training will include both a presentation and a hands-on section. Topics of the presentation will include:
- The Benefits of Using Fixed-Route Services
- System-Wide Accessibility Facts
- Reduced Fares Information
- Information on how to read MBTA bus schedules and subway maps
- Trip Planning
- Safety Information
Topic areas for the hands-on portion of the training will include:
- How to identify a MBTA Bus Stop
- Access Features on MBTA Bus
- Securing a Wheeled Mobility Device
- Using the Farebox
- Using Fare Vending Machines in Subway Stations
- Using the Faregates
- Using MBTA Call Boxes
- Access Features on MBTA Subway
- Boarding the Train using the Mobile Bridgeplate (Heavy Rail Trains) and the Built-in Bridgeplate (Type 8 Green Line Trains).
There will be two types of trainings; a training that covers all disabilities and another that's specifically geared to customers with visual impairments. There will be one training per month with each type of training occurring every other month.
Customers who have participated in the System Orientation Training may be eligible to receive individualized training on how to properly use the MBTA’s buses and trains through our partner, SCM Transportation’s affiliate agency, Ways 2 Go. For more information on receiving individualized training to use the MBTA's network of buses and trains, please call 617-222-5237.
Registering for the Training
If your interested in participating in one of our trainings, please take the time to complete our online System Orientation Application Form. The application is also available in PDF or DOC format. You may also register for the training by calling 617-222-5237 and leave your name, telephone number, the best time to contact you regarding the training, and if any reasonable accommodations will be needed during the training. You may also email your interest in the program to email@example.com.