More from Developers
Select from the list below to learn more about the information and tools available for developers interested in MBTA data.
This page logs the non-backwards compatible changes to the V3 API. See the documentation on Versioning for how to use the different versions.
The version removes several fields on the Shapes API.
- `name`, `direction_id`, and `priority` have been removed from attributes
- `route` and `stops` have been removed from relationships
The use cases fulfilled by these fields should be accommodated by the Route Patterns API.
This version introduces cleanups to make the API more consistent.
- The Schedules API no longer returns an departure time if it’s not possible to board, or an arrival time if it’s not possible to alight at a stop
- This brings it into line with the Predictions API
- The use of underscores (_) has been made consistent throughout the API
- /route-patterns/ was renamed to /route_patterns/
- /live-facilities/ was renamed to /live_facilities/ and the type of those results is now `live_facility`
- Facilities now have a `short_name` and `long_name` field: the `name` field was removed
- This brings it into line with the Routes API
For security purposes, we have also disabled TLS 1.0/1.1 access to the API. From this date, TLS 1.2 is the minimum supported version.
This version introduces strict validation of parameters passed as a `filter` and/or `include`. The API will return HTTP 400 should the caller pass an unsupported value. List of supported values for filters and includes could be found in the Swagger documentation.
The `stop_id` field for `Prediction` can now change in some additional cases:
- Red Line: Alewife, Braintree
- Orange Line: Forest Hills, Oak Grove
- Green Line: Kenmore, Park Street
The `stop_id` field for `Prediction` can now change in some cases where we know that the vehicle will be stopping at a different stop. In particular, we use this for the Commuter Rail: Back Bay, South Station, and North Station for track assignments.
Since track assignments are now reflected in the `stop_id` field, the `track` field is removed.
The `last_updated` field on `Vehicle` was replaced by `updated_at` to more closely match the names used by `Alert`.
Initial public release.