The Youth Pass offers low-income young adults access to the MBTA with reduced fares. Eligible people can purchase a LinkPass (unlimited subway and local bus) for $30/month or add stored value and ride for a reduced rate.
How to Apply
You may be eligible for the Youth Pass if:
- You live in a participating city or town
- You are not enrolled in middle or high school*
- You are 25 or younger (as of October 31, 2018)
- If you are between 18 and 25, you must be enrolled in an accepted GED or job training program, or state or federal benefit program
Learn more by reading the Youth Pass Eligibility Criteria.
*If you’re a student, you may be able to get discounted fares through your school.
- Contact the community partner in your city to express your interest.
- Fill out an application form.
- Gather any required documents.
- Bring everything to the community partner in the city where you live.
- If eligible, you will receive a Youth Pass CharlieCard with your name and picture on it.
All Youth Pass CharlieCards expire on November 1 each year. You’ll have to go through the same enrollment steps above to renew. You'll be given a new card when you submit your application to re-enroll if it's approved.
Participating Cities and Communities
For application forms and more information about how to enroll, contact the community partner in your city.
Cities and towns interested in joining the program should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please use the North Shore Community College Youth Pass Intake Form.
After You’re Enrolled
Once you receive your card, you can use it at any fare vending machine or retail sales terminal to add stored value or monthly passes. Rates are:
|Fare Type||LinkPass (unlimited rides on local bus and subway—not valid on express buses)||Price||$30/month|
|Fare Type||Single ride on the subway||Price||$1.10|
|Fare Type||Single ride on local bus||Price||$0.85|
|Fare Type||Single ride on inner express bus||Price||$2.50|
|Fare Type||Single ride on outer express bus||Price||$3.50|
|Fare Type||Transfers between subway and local bus||Price||Free|
The Youth Pass does not extend reduced fare benefits to rides on the commuter rail or ferry.