Holiday Service Schedule
Posted on December 18, 2009
The MBTA today announced its service schedule for the upcoming holiday period.
Thursday, December 31st through Friday, January 1st
Today, the MBTA announced its service schedule for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The MBTA is providing extra transit services throughout the First Night Festivities and will be offering FREE service after 8:00 p.m. Extra MBTA Police will patrol the system to assist with crowd control and safety.
Thursday, December 31 – New Year’s Eve
- Blue, Orange, Green and Red Line trains will operate on a weekday schedule. Additional trains will operate and provide rush – hour levels of service throughout the evening. Service will be extended until approximately 2:00 a.m.
- Bus routes and Silver Line will operate on a weekday schedule.
- Commuter Rail Service On New Year’s Eve will operate on a Weekday schedule with additional train service provided to accommodate customers participating in Boston’s First Night Celebration.
** ALL COMMUTER RAIL TRAINS WILL MAKE ALL LOCAL STOPS ENROUTE TO THEIR DESTINATION
*** THESE ARE THE LAST COMMUTER RAIL TRAINS TO OPERATE. THERE WILL NOT BE ANY ALTERNATIVE SERVICES AVAILABLE. CUSTOMERS MUST ARRIVE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE TIME.
OUTBOUND FROM NORTH STATION
Fitchburg Line:12:10 AM departure to Fitchburg will terminate at South Acton
1:00 AM & 2:00 AM Departure to Fitchburg
Haverhill Line:12:10 AM departure to Haverhill will terminate at Reading
1:00 AM & 2:00 AM Departure to Haverhill
Lowell Line:12:10 AM, 1:00 AM, & 2:00 AM Departure to Lowell
Rockport Line:12:10 AM departure to Rockport will terminate at Beverly
1:00 AM departure to Rockport
Newburyport:12:45 AM departure to Newburyport
Newburyport/Rockport:2:00 AM departure
Newburyport bound customers must change at Beverly for a connecting train to Newburyport.
OUTBOUND FROM SOUTH STATION
Providence Line:Train #829 that normally departs at 11:59 P.M. will depart 46 minutes later at 12:45 A.M.
1:45 AM Departure to Providence
Franklin Line:Train #731 that normally departs at 11:50 P.M. will depart 55 minutes later at 12:45 A.M.
1:45 AM Departure to Forge Park
Greenbush Line:1:00 AM Departure to Greenbush
Middleboro/Lakeville Line:1:10 AM Departure to Middleboro
Needham Line:1:00 AM Departure to Needham
Kingston Line:1:00 AM Departure to Kingston
Worcester/Framingham Line:Train #P539 that normally departs at 11:25 PM. will depart 1 hour and 35 minutes later at 1:00 AM to Worcester
Commuter Boat and Ferry
- Inner Harbor Ferry will operate a normal weekday schedule
- Hingham Commuter Boat service: The 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. departures from Rowes Wharf to Hingham will be substituted with departures at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The last trip from Hingham will be at 6:10 p.m. The last boat departing Rowes Wharf will be at 7:00 p.m.
- Quincy and Hull Commuter Boat service to Logan Airport and Long Wharf will operate a normal weekday schedule.
- THE RIDE will operate extended hours until 2:30 a.m.
As a way to manage traffic volume, customers are urged to pay upon entering the parking garages.
Friday, January 1st– New Year’s Day
- Blue, Orange, Green and Red Line trains will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Buses, Silver Line, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Commuter rail trains will operate on a Sunday schedule. Please Note: Fairmount Line, Needham Line and Stoughton Line will not operate.
- Inner Harbor Ferry and Commuter Boat services will not operate.
- THE RIDE will operate on a Sunday schedule.
For more information about MBTA services, routes, schedules and fares, please call the T’s Customer Information Center at 617-222-3200, (TTY) 617-222-5146.
Media Contact Information
For all queries and comments, please contact: