Robert Street Bridge Replacement
- Contract awarded: February 12, 2020
- Project completed: Fall 2021
- Budget: $10 million
- Status: 100% complete
The steel bridge, which was built in 1898 and last rehabilitated in 1985, has been completely replaced to meet the MBTA’s reliability and modernization needs.
- New bridge has a projected life of 75 years
- Repairs to Robert Street roadway and sidewalk
- Single-span bridge design and higher clearance level for more open space below
- Single-track bridge design that could accommodate future construction of a second track
- Provides safer, more resilient, more reliable service on the Needham Line
- Brings bridge to a State of Good Repair
- Reduces maintenance costs and service impacts
- Improves pedestrian and vehicle access on Robert Street
Building a Better T
As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.