|Recovery of weekday service for Commuter Rail continues with schedule changes effective 3/2. For schedules visit www.mbta.com/winter/severe_weather/ more >|
Try our free Wi-Fi Commuter Boat Pilot Program!
In light of the success of the Wi-Fi Commuter Rail Connect Test Program, the MBTA is pleased to announce the launch of a Wi-Fi Pilot Program on the MBTA Commuter Boats. The MBTA will be one of the first public transportation ferry companies in the United States to introduce Wi-Fi on board the vessels, not just at the ferry terminals. Our free T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat pilot program strives to provide free Internet access for your laptop, cell phone, PDA or Wi-Fi enabled device.
Here’s how it works:
• All MBTA Commuter Boat vessels on the F1 – Hingham/Boston and F2/F2H – Quincy/Hull/Logan/Boston ferry routes will offer Wi-Fi internet access.
• When you see the bandwidth symbol on your screen, click on it and you′ll come to our T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat page. Review the stated terms, and indicate your acceptance of the terms by clicking “I Agree” (or “Connect”) for internet access.
• Signal strengths may vary and fluctuate and service interruptions may occur.
• Wi-Fi service works best when utilizing basic Internet browsing, as well as checking and sending e-mails.
• Our Wi-Fi offers limited bandwidth that is shared among all the users on board the vessel. Please remember to be courteous to your fellow internet users by limiting your use of streaming audio and video.
• Please be respectful of other passengers and refrain from viewing inappropriate content. As a customer courtesy, we ask that you turn off any audible sound or use headphones.
• Wi-Fi Security and Privacy - Our Commuter Boat Wi-Fi has limited bandwidth that is shared among all users on your vessel. And, as with any Wi-Fi source, please take extra precautions on what information and transactions you perform.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: May I ask boat crew personnel for assistance in accessing T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat?
A: MBTA commuter boat crew serve strictly for fare collection, vessel operations and safety supervision. For some simple access information pick up an instruction card on board the vessel. For all other inquiries, or to provide feedback, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org We strive to respond to all inquiries within three business days.
Q: How do I connect?
A: Once you see that you are acquiring a wireless signal on your device, click it to connect to the T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat page. If you don′t automatically connect, make sure your laptop or wireless device is Wi-Fi enabled. Some laptops may have different procedures for connecting to a Wi-Fi network. Please consult the Help functions on your computer or the manufacturer′s instructions. Some laptops may have fire walls that prevent connection.
Q: How long is this service going to be “tested”?
A: As one of the first programs of this type in the nation, we know that we will face challenges throughout the testing period. We ask for your patience as we develop and perfect our onboard technology during the testing phase over the next several months.
Q: Why does Wi-Fi service sometimes fade in and out?
A: Due to the characteristics of the cellular network, there may be locations where service is intermittent or unavailable. Wi-Fi is solely dependent on the strength of the cellular signal in that area. This is the same effect as when a person experiences a “dropped” call on a cell phone when hitting a “dead zone”. Click here to view the signal strength on your commuter boat route.
Q: Will Wi-Fi service be available on the Inner Harbor Ferry?
The Inner Harbor Ferry is not being considered as part of the pilot program, primiarly because the trip is so short. This route may however be considered in the future.
Q: Does T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat offer virus protection and security?
A: No, we do not. It is the customer’s responsibility to prepare a laptop or wireless internet device for secure internet usage. The MBTA is not responsible for any damages or security breaches.
Q: Can I download large files?
A: We recommend that you use T Wi-Fi Commuter Boat for simple web services. Downloading or emailing large file attachments may result in the loss of the file.
Please let us know how it's working!
Throughout the test period, we would like your feedback. Please send your comments or suggestions to email@example.com.