Better Bus Tracking and Predictions
Updated on October 11, 2018
About the Project
As of October 4, 2018, we've upgraded our bus predictions. Customers can expect a 10% increase in accuracy. Some older apps may not use our new system.
The MBTA is unveiling 2 new innovations that will improve bus prediction accuracy for customers as part of the Better Bus Project.
- New bus location tracking will offer more frequent updates of where buses are, every few seconds. Instant tracking reports where every bus in the system is, in real time.
- Simultaneously, a new prediction system will increase the accuracy of arrival estimates on our website and apps by nearly 10% over the previous system.
- Improve updates on bus locations from every 60 seconds—or longer—to every few seconds
- Offer customers more accurate bus arrival estimates
- Switch the transmission of data from radio network to a cellular-plus-radio system
- Install new hardware and software across entire fleet
- More accurate estimated wait times at stops
- Improved arrival estimates
More reliable information:
- More frequently updated tracking information on apps, mobile devices, and MBTA.com
- Location tracking across more of our service area, especially areas where there are gaps in radio signal, like Logan Airport
A more efficient system:
- Quicker bus rerouting for obstacles, including diversions and road closures
- More effective redirection of buses during traffic delays
For all queries and comments related to Better Bus Tracking and Predictions, please contact: