Downtown Crossing Accessibility Phase II
- Contract awarded: July 2020
- Projected project completion: August 2024
- Budget: $45 million
- Status: 30% Design
Building a Better T
As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
Why We're Doing This Work
Downtown Crossing is one of our busiest subway stations, and has two underground platform levels. These three elevators will simplify transfers, improving accessibility and rider experience.
- New elevator in the Winter Street building, providing street-level access to the Orange and Red Line southbound platforms
- Short underground tunnel from the Winter Street elevator to the south passageway
- New elevator adjacent to the Macy’s building, providing a connection between the Orange Line northbound and Red Line southbound platforms
- New elevator at the end of the Winter Street Concourse, providing a connection between the Orange Line southbound and Red Line center platforms
- Easier access to Orange and Red Line platforms
- Improved rider experience and safety
For all questions and comments related to Downtown Crossing elevator work, please contact the Downtown Crossing team at DTX@MBTA.com.
Get project news, updates, and information delivered to your inbox.