Green Line D Track and Signal Replacement
Updated on October 18, 2018
About the Project
This project is part of the MBTA initiative to bring the Green Line track and signal systems into a state of good repair.
- Replace approximately 6.5 miles of signal infrastructure
- Replace 25,000 feet of track
- Replace special trackwork between Beaconsfield and Riverside stations
- Signal equipment will be centralized at stations
- Modern electronics will replace antiquated, obsolete signal equipment
- Continuous welded rail will replace jointed rail
- Modern signal system will be less likely to fail, resulting in fewer delays
- Reduction in signal failures and response times
- Fewer signal delays will increase reliability of Green Line operations
- Maintenance of Way will be able to remove speed restrictions on the D branch
Replacements by Station
|Station||Riverside||Replacements||Track and signal|
|Station||Waban||Replacements||Track and signal|
|Station||Newton Highlands||Replacements||Track and signal|
|Station||Newton Centre||Replacements||Track and signal|
|Station||Chestnut Hill||Replacements||Track and signal|
|Station||Reservoir||Replacements||Track and signal|
Late Evening Bus Shuttles (Sunday – Thursday)
During select months, bus shuttles will replace train service on some portions of the D branch, Sunday – Thursday, starting at 9 PM:
- October 8, 2018 – December 28, 2018 (view a map of this work)
- April 2019 – December 2019
- April 2020 – December 2020
Note: Regular train service will run later on evenings when there are Red Sox home games and other special events.
Weekend Bus Shuttles (Saturday and Sunday)
Additionally, over at least 15 weekends in 2019 and 2020, bus shuttles will replace train service on some portions of the D branch from beginning of service Saturday to end of service Sunday.
To report a noise complaint or issue, call the 24/7 noise hotline at 508-676-3550.
For all queries and comments related to Green Line D Track and Signal Replacement, please contact:
August 29, 2018 at 6:00pm
September 6, 2018 at 6:00pm