Green Line Extension (GLX)
Updated on May 25, 2018
About the Project
The Green Line Extension (GLX) will extend the northern end of the Green Line from Lechmere to Union Square in Somerville and College Avenue in Medford.
- A new Green Line branch on existing Lowell Commuter Rail tracks, from Lechmere to Medford
- A new Green Line branch on existing Fitchburg Commuter Rail tracks, from Lechmere to Union Square in Somerville
- The relocation of Lechmere Station in Cambridge
- 7 new T stations
- A new vehicle storage and maintenance facility
- Create additional transportation routes in the Medford and Somerville neighborhoods
- Reduce the number of vehicles on local roads to improve traffic concerns
- Support municipal plans for sustainability and urban redevelopment
- Reduce maintenance costs and service impacts for the foreseeable future
May 25, 2018
Due to Green Line Extension construction, there will be no Commuter Rail service between Porter and North Station on the Fitchburg Line on weekends May 5 to June 3, 2018.
March 19, 2018
GLX Constructors, the design-build entity for the MBTA Green Line Extension Project, began pre-construction activities in January 2018, in advance of construction work that is scheduled for the late spring/summer of 2018.
For all queries and comments related to Green Line Extension (GLX), please contact: