Mansfield Station Accessibility Improvements
The Providence/Stoughton Line has the highest ridership on the Commuter Rail and Amtrak. Mansfield Commuter Rail Station, which is a heavily used station on this line, currently has a number of significant accessibility barriers. We’re working to remove these barriers and make Mansfield Station safer and more accessible.
- Contract awarded: February 2017
- Projected completion: Fall 2020
- Budget: $11.3 million
- Status: Construction
Building a Better T
As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
To bring Mansfield Station up to our accessibility standards, we’re reconstructing the 2 mini-high platforms to allow for easy, level boarding.
The renovated station will also include:
- 2 new sets of pedestrian stairs and ramps with canopies, which opened March 6, 2020.
- Better lighting and new wayfinding signs
- Repaved and coated platforms and with new tactile warning strips and guard rails
- Parking lot upgrades for improved safety and accessibility
The outbound mini-high platform opened on Monday, April 27, and the inbound mini-high platform opened on Monday, May 4. Ongoing repairs and resurfacing of the remaining portions of the platforms are now underway.
As of May 2020, we’ve:
- Demolished, reconstructed, and reopened 2 permanent mini-high platforms
- Constructed 2 sets of pedestrian ramps and stairs that connect both inbound and outbound sides of the station through a pedestrian underpass
- Completed surface repairs on approximately 50% of both inbound and outbound platforms
- Upgraded wayfinding signs and lighting and installed new benches
Once the completed portions of the platform are opened to the public, and weather permitting, we will:
- Resume repairs and resurfacing of the remaining portions of both inbound and outbound platforms
- Install foundations for lighting and fare collection systems
- Install all electrical and communication systems
- Finalize placement of new concrete edges and tactile warning strips
- Install remainder of benches, light poles, and wayfinding
Please continue to check back here for updates on the project and construction activities that may impact your commute.
For all questions and comments related to Mansfield Station Accessibility Improvements, please contact MansfieldCR@mbta.com.