Ruggles Station Commuter Rail Platform
About the Project
Ruggles Station is the fourth-busiest destination for Commuter Rail service, but the current track layout limits the number of trains that can stop there. Today, 30% of Commuter Rail trains bypass Ruggles to stop at Back Bay, so riders have to take the Orange Line back to Ruggles for bus or shuttle service.
A new commuter rail platform and updated busway will ease congestion along the Commuter Rail and make it easier for customers to transfer to the other modes of transit at Ruggles Station.
- A new 800-foot Commuter Rail platform serving the Providence, Stoughton, and Franklin lines
- Reconstructed lower busway
- New elevators throughout the station
- More trains will stop at Ruggles Station so customers don't need to backtrack from Back Bay
- Improved accessibility features for customers on the Orange Line and Commuter Rail
- Reduced traffic for Commuter Rail and Amtrak trains
- Reduced maintenance costs and service impacts