Skip to main content

Greening the Fleet: Decarbonizing the MBTA

New Red Line train at the Wollaston Station platform

The MBTA provides a sustainable low carbon form of transportation for the region. However, the vehicles used by the MBTA can significantly impact the environment, both through the types of energy they use and the amount of energy needed to power them. 

About 70% of the electricity used by the MBTA is "traction power" used to move the trains. The remaining 30% is used for things like lights, elevators, escalators, and mechanical equipment. 

Our new and more efficient vehicles are an important part of our strategy to reduce our energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. 

Building a Better T

As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.

Learn more

Commuter Rail

Commuter Rail

As the MBTA plans for the future of the Commuter Rail system, we are considering the transition from diesel locomotives to an electrified system.

Moving to an electrified system would help us further reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and reduce our carbon footprint.

The conversion would be part of a major overhaul of the entire Commuter Rail network and would require:

  • Implementiation of new vehicles
  • New and updated maintenance facilities
  • New and updated power supply, electric catenary, and power systems

The MBTA has launched the Rail Vision program that will identify cost-effective strategies to transform the existing Commuter Rail system. The modernized system will offer improved mobility and support our efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Learn more about the MBTA Rail Vision program

Related Projects

New Red Line Vehicles

A new Red Line car delievered to Cabot Yard. MBTA workers help get it off the trailer.

The Red Line Transformation program will support the all-new, expanded Red Line fleet of 252 modern vehicles.

Learn more about new Red Line vehicles

New Orange Line Vehicles

New Orange Line car at Wellington, as a crowd on the platform takes photos.

The Orange Line Transformation program will support the expanded Orange Line fleet of 152 modern vehicles. 

Learn more about new Orange Line vehicles

Building a Better T

As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.

Learn more

Related Projects

New Red Line Vehicles

A new Red Line car delievered to Cabot Yard. MBTA workers help get it off the trailer.

The Red Line Transformation program will support the all-new, expanded Red Line fleet of 252 modern vehicles.

Learn more about new Red Line vehicles

New Orange Line Vehicles

New Orange Line car at Wellington, as a crowd on the platform takes photos.

The Orange Line Transformation program will support the expanded Orange Line fleet of 152 modern vehicles. 

Learn more about new Orange Line vehicles