People 65 and older are eligible for reduced MBTA fares with a Senior CharlieCard. These cards are valid for 8 years.
How to Apply for a Senior CharlieCard
At the CharlieCard Store
1. Visit the CharlieCard Store in Downtown Crossing:
7 Chauncy Street
Boston, MA 02111
2. Present a valid, government-issued license or ID to prove you’re 65 or older.
3. You’ll be issued a temporary 30-day Senior Charlie Ticket.
4. Your permanent Senior CharlieCard will arrive in the mail 7-10 business days later.
At a Senior CharlieCard Event
1. Attend a Senior CharlieCard Event.
2. Fill out an application at the event. Bring a valid, government-issued or license to prove you’re 65 or older.
3. Staff at the event will mail your application and photo to the MBTA.
4. Your permanent Senior CharlieCard will arrive in the mail 7-10 business days after the MBTA receives the application.
For staff at Councils on Aging and Senior Centers in the Boston area: You can host a Senior CharlieCard event if you have 15 or more seniors who would like to apply for Senior CharlieCards.
How to Use Your Senior CharlieCard
Subway and Bus
You can load stored value or monthly passes onto your Senior CharlieCard at any fare vending machine or at fare boxes onboard buses and above-ground trolleys.
Please note, discounted monthly passes are not available for express buses. You can purchase a single ride for 50% of the standard fare.
Commuter Rail and Ferry
On the commuter rail* or ferry, show your Senior CharlieCard to MBTA staff at a ticket booth. You’ll pay 50% of the standard fare.
*You can also receive reduced fares on the commuter rail by presenting a valid, government-issued license or ID that states you’re 65 or older.
Please note, discounted monthly passes are not available for the ferry or commuter rail. You can purchase 10-ride tickets for 50% of the standard fare.