Bus Network Redesign
- Timeline: 2018 – 2028
- Status: Planning
Greater Boston has changed significantly in recent years, with shifting demographics, emerging employment districts, increasing traffic congestion, and changing travel patterns.
The Bus Network Redesign completely reimagines the MBTA’s bus network to reflect these changes and create a better experience for current and future bus riders.
What's Happening Now
We’ve evaluated your feedback and made changes to more than half the bus routes in our proposed bus network map. See what’s changed in our revised map and share your comments with us.
- 25% more bus service
- 70% more weekend service
- 275,000 more residents would be near high-frequency service (buses running every 15 minutes or better, all day, every day)
- 115,000 residents of color and 40,000 low-income households would gain access to high-frequency service
- Summer/Fall 2021: We talked to riders about what they wanted to see in a new network. Then, we created an online survey to gather input on our metrics and priorities. Based on that feedback, we developed a proposal for a new bus network.
- Spring/Summer 2022: We shared our proposal for a new network and gathered public feedback on it in May, June, and July.
- Fall 2022: We’ve incorporated feedback into a final network map for Board approval.
The new network will be implemented in several phases, starting with the rollout of new routes in summer 2023. We plan to add service over time as we continue to modernize our facilities and expand our fleet.
Our public information efforts during this time will be more extensive than any we’ve ever launched for a route change—we want to ensure that riders can learn and understand the new system before it’s implemented.
Presentations to the Board
Looking to learn more? You can view our presentations to the MBTA Board of Directors and the Fiscal Management and Control Board for more details about the Bus Network Redesign.
Bus Network Redesign Update: High Priority Corridors (November 23, 2020)
Bus Network Redesign Update: Early Action Service Principles (February 24, 2020)
Bus Network Redesign demonstration projects update (December 9, 2019)
Bus Network Redesign demonstration projects update (October 21, 2019)
Bus Network Redesign metrics update (September 23, 2019)
Bus Network Redesign policy and process update (July 23, 2019)
Bus Network Redesign update (March 25, 2019)
For other questions and comments related to Bus Network Redesign, please contact us at BetterBusProject@mbta.com.
For more information
Sign up for email updates, and check back here for opportunities to share your input with the Bus Network Redesign Team.