Codman Yard Expansion and Improvements
We’re expanding Codman Yard, where Red Line vehicles are stored each day, to support the all-new fleet of modern, spacious Red Line vehicles, providing additional capacity and reliability for riders. These improvements will also bring the yard to a State of Good Repair to reduce maintenance costs and improve safety.
- Design contract awarded: May 2020
- Anticipated construction start: Spring 2022
- Projected completion: Spring 2025
- Budget: TBD – Design/Scope Development in Process
- Status: 100% design phase
Building a Better T
As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
The improvements to Codman Yard will help crews move trains through the yard more easily and allow for additional vehicle storage. It will feature:
- Six new storage tracks to expand the yard and accommodate new Red Line vehicles.
- An upgraded crossover track to improve traffic flow through the yard.
- Upgraded, neighborhood-friendly and efficient LED lighting for better distribution of light throughout the yard and reduced light spillover into the adjacent residential neighborhood.
- Upgraded track and signal components in the yard and the crossover approaching the yard.
- Improved service reliability
- Added vehicle capacity
You can also email questions and comments to the project team at RedOrangeLineProgram@MBTA.com.