Green Line Extension (GLX) Medford Branch Opened December 12
Updated on December 12, 2022
The Medford Branch of the Green Line Extension (GLX) opened for service on December 12, 2022. The new branch extends the northern end of the Green Line through Somerville, ending at College Avenue in Medford.
Green Line Service Changes
On December 12, Green Line service will change as follows:
The Medford Branch includes five new stations:
- East Somerville Station – 134 Washington Street, Somerville
- Gilman Square Station – 161 School Street, Somerville
- Magoun Square Station – 270 Lowell Street, Somerville
- Ball Square Station – 672 Broadway, Somerville
- Medford/Tufts Station – 460 Boston Avenue, Medford
All stations have bike racks available and are equipped with ADA portable mobility lifts.
How to Pay for Your Fare
Riders will need to validate their fare at all GLX stations. Riders should tap their CharlieCards or tappable CharlieTickets at the fare vending machines prior to boarding, rather than at the onboard fareboxes as they may be used to.
These upgraded fare vending machines are at the following stations:
Please note that old, insertable CharlieTickets can only be validated at onboard fare boxes.
- Tap your CharlieCard or tappable CharlieTicket on the target
- Select “validation” from the on-screen menu
- Tap your card or ticket again when prompted. The screen will then display the amount deducted from your balance.
- Keep your receipt in case MBTA staff need to see it
Building a Better T
As part of our $9.6 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.