Newton Commuter Rail Accessibility Improvements
We’re planning accessibility upgrades at 3 Commuter Rail stations in Newton on the Worcester Line that are in disrepair and not accessible to people with disabilities.
- Contract awarded: Consultant contract anticipated 2019
- Projected completion: 2024
- Project cost: $46 million
- Status: Design
This work includes constructing fully accessible, high-level platforms on Track 1 at each station and accessible pathways to each platform. The design could accommodate construction of accessible platforms on Track 2 at each station in the future.
- Sloped walkway access from the sidewalk to the platform
- Sloped walkway access from the parking lot to the platform
- Connection from street drop-off area to the platform
- Stair and elevator access from the sidewalk to the platform
- Stair and ramp access from the Washington St parking lot to the platform
- Sloped walkway access from the Webster St parking lot to the platform via a pedestrian underpass
- Stair and ramp access in 2 locations from the sidewalk to the platform
Other features include:
- Tactile stripping
- Bicycle racks
We'll also address the MBTA’s reliability and modernization needs at each station, including track and signal upgrades.
For all queries and comments related to Newton Commuter Rail Accessibility Improvements, please contact project manager Maribel Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.