Commercial Street Bridge Replacement and Work to Continue September 16-24
Updated on September 13, 2022
The MBTA's contractor for the Commercial Street Bridge Replacement Project is planning to safely remove the existing bridge and move new bridge superstructure into place.
Building a Better T
As part of our $9.6 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
What to Expect During This Work
Friday, September 16 through September 20:
Demolition and replacement of the existing bridge with new superstructure
- Crews will work through 4 AM on Tuesday, September 20
- Crews will work 24 hours per day
- Commercial Street will be closed and a full detour will be required
- Work will be completed during a planned diversion of Newburyport/Rockport Line Commuter Rail service
Tuesday, September 20 through September 24:
- Commercial Street will be closed 8 PM – 6 AM daily
- Street closure will end Saturday, September 24 at 6 AM
Traffic Detour Route, September 16 – 24
Detour route signs will be in place, but we encourage drivers to seek alternate routes to avoid delays.
Before major construction activities, we’ll install electronic message signs that will display the most up-to-date information.
To minimize delays, drivers may way to use alternate routes during construction periods
If we expect that any of this work will have significant noise or additional traffic impacts on the neighborhood, we will send updates via email. If you would like to receive project updates, please sign up below.
For all questions or comments, or to report issues related to construction, please email CommercialStBridge@mbta.com.