Traveling with Guests
Personal care attendants (PCAs)
You can always bring a personal care attendant with you on your trip. There’s no charge for PCAs on The RIDE.
Other guests and service animals
- You are guaranteed space for 1 guest other than a PCA, and you may have other guests ride with you if space is available. RIDE fares apply per person.
- Children need to ride in a car seat that is appropriate for their age and weight. School transportation is not provided.
- Service animals must ride tethered, leashed, or harnessed at their owner’s feet.
- Other animals, including comfort or therapy animals, are not allowed.
Let The RIDE know if you’ll be traveling with anyone else, including a service animal, when you book your trip.
Guests must travel with you, to and from the same destination.
Keep in mind that your guests’ fares will be deducted from your RIDE account when you board.
Luggage and Personal Items
You can bring up to 3 pieces of luggage per person on The RIDE. No piece can weigh more than 40 pounds.
Please limit bulky, heavy items whenever possible. Your driver must be able to carry them while assisting you to and from the vehicle.
Transportation will not be provided to customers who exceed the luggage limits.
Please remember that The RIDE is a shared space, and respect your fellow passengers, drivers, and transportation equipment. Follow these rider rules:
- Wear a seatbelt (including if you’re a wheelchair or scooter user).
- Use headphones with personal audio devices.
- Note that personal hygiene and perfumes can be objectionable to other passengers or cause allergic reactions.
- Ask the driver to adjust the radio, including turning it on/off, changing the station, and turning up or down the volume. (The 2-way radio for dispatch can’t be turned off.)
- Stand while the vehicle is moving.
- Eat or drink unless you need to for medical/dietary reasons. Let the driver know if this is the case.
- Have loud conversations on your cellphone.
- Bring hoverboards on RIDE vehicles.
- Smoke, including e-cigarettes.
- Tip your driver or give other gratuities.
Inappropriate or illegal behavior will not be tolerated, and may result in service suspension, police investigation, or other consequences.
Late Cancellation/No-show Policy
A trip is considered a late cancellation if you cancel it within 1 hour of your pick-up time.
A trip is considered a no-show if you don’t appear at your pick-up point within 5 minutes of the driver’s arrival. If you’re running late, be sure to call your dispatcher so you can be put on “will call” status.
If you cancel or don’t show up for trips regularly, you’ll be issued a violation, and your RIDE service can be suspended for a period of time. The RIDE will issue you a violation if:
- You book at least 7 trips in a month and late cancel or no-show for at least 20% of them OR
- You late cancel or no-show for more than 7 trips in a month
The RIDE will send you a notice in the mail if you’ve reached either of these limits. The RIDE reviews all claims and removes any submitted in error before notifying you. You won’t be penalized for no-shows or cancellations that happen for reasons beyond your control.
The consequences for violations in the same 12-month rolling period are:
- First time: Written warning
- 2 times: 1-week suspension
- 3 times: 2-week suspension
- 4 or more times: 8-week suspension
Please visit our support page for information about how to appeal a warning or suspension.
Keeping Your Information up to Date
You must keep your personal information up to date with The RIDE.
If you have a change in any of the following circumstances, please contact us to update your information:
- Mobility status (changing from a walker to a wheelchair, getting a new mobility device, acquiring a service animal, etc.)
- Phone number
- Emergency contact
- Legal name
If you’re the family member of a RIDE customer who has passed away, please contact us so we can arrange for a refund of their RIDE fare account. You may need to provide legal documentation.
How to update your information with The RIDE
800-533-6282 (in-state, toll-free)
MBTA - OTA, The RIDE
10 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116
The RIDE is public transportation. The MBTA may change or update policies and still be ADA-compliant. Visit the ADA’s website or call 888-446-4511 (voice) or 800-877-8339 (TTY) for more information.