North Station Drawbridge Replacement
We are replacing the North Station Draw One Bridge to bring it to a state of good repair and increase safety for riders taking the Haverhill, Lowell, Newburyport/Rockport, and Fitchburg Commuter Rail lines.
The drawbridge crosses over the Charles River. It currently has two moveable spans with four tracks. Existing piers are supporting the spans already in place. The new drawbridge will have three moveable spans with additional tracks.
Design contract awarded: 2019
Design budget: $45 million
Status: 75% design
Building a Better T
As part of our $9.6 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
- Replacement and modernization of the existing drawbridge
- Replacement of a control tower
- Extension of the bridge platform
- Connection of tracks 11 and 12 to the existing network
- Upgrades to track, signal, communications, and infrastructure
- A new station platform with two new station tracks for additional arrival/departure capacity
- Four to six additional river-crossing bridge tracks to improve on-time performance into and out of the North Station Terminal
- Improved safety, reliability, and overall customer experience
Recorded Project Overview
For all questions and comments related to these necessary improvements, please email DrawOne@MBTA.com.
For More Information
Get accessibility news, updates, and advance notice of events delivered to your inbox.