Orange Line Improvement Program
Updated on December 19, 2018
About the Project
As the MBTA prepares for the arrival of our new and expanded Orange Line fleet, we’re making infrastructure investments to support storage, testing, and maintenance of the new vehicles. These investments are part of the Red Line/Orange Line Improvements Program.
This work is being done alongside the signal systems upgrade project, also part of the program.
Orange Line improvements include:
- Wellington Yard rebuild
- Maintenance facility improvements
- Test track rehabilitation
- Construction of expansion tracks
Wellington Yard Rebuild and Maintenance Facility Improvements
Wellington Yard, where the Orange Line’s vehicles are stored and cared for each day, will get major infrastructure upgrades to accommodate the new fleet.
- All new rail yard tracks, power systems, and signals
- Modern upgrades to the vehicle maintenance facility, which was built in the 1970s, including more space for storage and maintenance, an additional service bay, new diagnostics equipment, and an efficient and environmentally friendly car wash
- Larger maintenance facility capacity to work on more vehicles at a time
- New technology within the yard to provide remote early warning diagnostics and maintenance alerts for more efficient vehicle maintenance
- Replacement of outdated equipment and maintenance facility components to reduce facility maintenance needs and improve vehicle repair times
- Standardized vehicle turnouts and crossovers to simplify yard maintenance
- Upgraded track, power, and signals systems so trains can be moved through the yard, stored, and put back into service reliably
Test Track Rehabilitation
Alongside work at Wellington Yard, the test track was rebuilt to test and commission new Orange Line vehicles.
- Extension of existing track from Community College to Wellington Station
- Upgrades to tracks, power systems, and signals
- New vehicles tested and brought into service
- Dedicated test track for fewer service disruptions
Construction of Expansion Tracks
To accommodate the expansion of the Orange Line fleet, current storage tracks will be modified, and new ones will be added.
- 6 all-new storage tracks
- Modification of tracks and addition of turnout for maintenance facility access
- Improved train movements through the yard
- Increased vehicle storage
|Project||Construction Substantial Completion|
|Project||Orange Line Test Track||Construction Substantial Completion||Summer 2018|
|Project||Wellington Yard Expansion Tracks 33 to 38||Construction Substantial Completion||Winter 2019|
|Project||Wellington Maintenance Facility||Construction Substantial Completion||Summer 2020|
|Project||Wellington Yard Rebuild||Construction Substantial Completion||Spring 2021|
For all queries and comments related to Orange Line Improvement Program, please contact: