Red Line Improvement Program
Updated on December 11, 2018
About the Project
As the MBTA prepares for the arrival of our new and expanded Red Line fleet, we’re making infrastructure investments to support storage, testing, and maintenance of the new vehicles. These investments are part of the Red Line/Orange Line Improvements Program.
This work is being done alongside the signal systems upgrade project, also part of the program.
Red Line improvements include:
- Cabot Yard and maintenance facility improvements
- Installation of test track
Cabot Yard and Maintenance Facility Improvements
Cabot Yard, where all of the Red Line’s vehicles are stored and cared for each day, will get major infrastructure upgrades to accommodate the new fleet.
- All new rail yard tracks, power systems, and signals
- Modern upgrades to the vehicle maintenance facility, which was built in the 1970s, including new diagnostics equipment, a canopy for outdoor maintenance work and an efficient and environmentally friendly car wash
- Upgraded track, power, and signals systems so trains can be moved through the yard, stored, and put back into service reliably
- Standardized vehicle turnouts and crossovers to simplify yard maintenance
- New technology within the yard to provide remote early warning diagnostics and maintenance alerts for more efficient vehicle maintenance
- Replacement of outdated equipment and maintenance facility components to reduce facility maintenance needs and improve vehicle repair times
Installation of Test Track
Alongside work at Cabot Yard, a new test track is being built to test and commission new Red Line vehicles.
- Replacement of existing track
- Installation of new power substation and 3rd rail
- Construction of a vehicle testing facility
- Installation of access track for direct connection to Cabot Yard
- New vehicles tested and brought into service
- Dedicated test track for fewer service disruptions
|Project||Construction Substantial Completion|
|Project||Red Line Test Track||Construction Substantial Completion||Spring 2019|
|Project||Cabot Yard & Maintenance Facility Improvements||Construction Substantial Completion||Winter 2022|
For all queries and comments related to Red Line Improvement Program, please contact: