Gloucester Drawbridge Replacement
About the Project
The Gloucester Drawbridge, which carries the Rockport Line over the Annisquam River, will be replaced over a 4-year period starting in 2018.
To reduce service disruptions, work will be completed in two phases. Half the bridge will be demolished while the other side remains open. When the first phase is complete, work on the other side will begin. Service will only be disrupted overnight when necessary, or on a limited number of weekends.
- New side-by-side single track moveable bridges
- Updated east approach trestle with pre-stressed box beams on top of steel pipe piles
- The control tower will be relocated on the Gloucester Station side of the bridge
- Safer, more reliable service on the Newburyport/Rockport line
- Elimination of speed restriction on the bridge
- Bring bridge to a State of Good Repair
- Reduce maintenance costs and service impacts
- Improve right of way access for boats
For all queries and comments related to Gloucester Drawbridge Replacement, please contact: