How to Apply for The RIDE
The RIDE Eligibility Center (TREC) is closed as of March 23, 2020.
- If you are a new or recertifying RIDE customer, you will be interviewed over the phone. TREC will contact your listed healthcare provider after the interview to verify your disability as needed.
- If you are a new RIDE customer with a recent or unexpected medical situation, you may be granted temporary eligibility if you meet the medical necessity criteria provided to your licensed healthcare provider by TREC.
- If you are a current RIDE customer who requires recertification soon, you will receive a reminder postcard to contact TREC. If you are not sure when your current eligibility expires, please call TREC.
- In-person functional assessments are not currently being conducted. If one is required, you can use The RIDE with “presumptive” eligibility until you can complete your application and receive your ADA eligibility determination.
These changes support social distancing for customers and employees. We will reevaluate as the situation evolves.
How to Apply
- Contact The RIDE Eligibility Center (TREC) at 617-337-2727, or email us at email@example.com to schedule your eligibility phone interview.
- TREC will contact your listed healthcare provider after the interview to verify your disability as needed.
- Most applicants hear back within 2 to 3 business days. If your application needs follow-up, it may take longer.
If your eligibility decision is not made within 21 days of completing the application process, you will be able to use THE RIDE until a decision is made. You can contact the Eligibility Center with any questions.
If you disagree with the decision you receive, you can appeal. Instructions on how to appeal are included in your decision letter.
- People who have a disability (temporary or permanent) that prevents them from using traditional public transit.
- If you’ve had a medical emergency, your licensed healthcare provider can request thirty days of The RIDE for you that starts immediately.
- Out-of-town visitors with disabilities may also be eligible to use The RIDE.
After You're Approved
Upon request, the RIDE Eligibility Center (TREC) can provide proof of your MBTA ADA Paratransit Eligibility. You can use it to take paratransit services when you travel outside the Boston area.
RIDE customers have to recertify their ADA status occasionally. You’ll get a reminder in the mail before your eligibility is set to expire.
Other RIDE Programs
The MBTA is running on-demand paratransit pilots with Uber, Lyft, and Curb Mobility (taxi), where RIDE customers can book subsidized rides instantly, right from their smartphones.
- The RIDE Eligibility Center
- 1000 Massachusetts Avenue
- 2nd Floor
- Boston, MA 02118