Winchester Center Station Accessibility Improvements
Winchester Center Station—which hasn’t had a major update since the 1950s—is in various states of disrepair and does not meet current accessibility standards. We will give it a complete renovation that will include structural repairs to improve safety, accessibility, and station capacity.
- Design contract awarded: 2018
- Construction start: Spring 2020
- Projected completion: 2023
- Status: 60% design
Building a Better T
As part of our $8 billion, 5-year capital investment plan, we're renovating stations, modernizing fare collection systems, upgrading services for our buses, subways, and ferries, and improving the accessibility of the entire system.
To bring Winchester Center Station up to date and make it accessible, we will install new high-level platforms that allow for easy boarding. The platforms will also accommodate longer, 9-car trains, which will increase station capacity. Additional updates include:
- Reconstructing access ramps and adding new elevators for better accessibility
- Upgrading canopies, signs, railings, and lighting for safety and security
- Adding benches, bike racks, a public address system, and other amenities for comfort and convenience
- Updating walkways, sidewalks, and parking lot areas